Max Rosenn U.S. Courthouse
First constructed in 1934, the building was primarily intended for use as the city’s Post Office, with court facilities provided on an upper floor. With the relocation of postal functions to a newly constructed facility, this building was adapted for reuse as a U.S. Courthouse. Renovation of this facility allowed the Federal judiciary to continue its key role in downtown Wilkes-Barre.
The Max Rosenn United States Courthouse provides the U.S. Court of Appeals, the U.S. District Court, the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, the U.S. Bankruptcy Clerk, judges’ chambers, the U.S. Probation Office, and the U.S. Marshal’s Service with a variety of newly crafted interiors suitable to each user’s needs.
The existing public entry vestibule was restored, maintaining its elegant pendant lights and marble door surrounds. The main lobby has a gently curving ceiling. The courtrooms also establish continuity with the exterior and lobby design with a limestone wall behind the judge’s bench.